Our farm lies on the border of Stokes and Forsyth Counties in Germanton, NC. (CLICK) the image to watch 'Driving Through Germanton, NC' (at 0:10 watch for our farm on the right). We have chosen the names for our goat's milk cheeses from our area's interesting destinations. Stop and enjoy our cheeses, shop in our Farm Store and get a glimpse of the goats and sheep as you enjoy a day trek to find out more about our area.
Places to Visit
Stokes County Visitor's Guide
Germanton Winery & Art Gallery (on NC Hwy 8 in Germanton)
Tim Bruce Art Studio: Originals, limited prints and sculpture by local artist Tim Bruce.
The Just Plain Country Store: Antiques and Crafters Mall
(405 N. Main Street in Walnut Cove) As the owner says, "If Granny
had it, We got it!!" Enjoy a trip back in time! Just Plain Country has
a little bit of everything: local art, crafts, primitives, snack bar,
bluegrass music, antiques and collectibles.
Mitchell's Nursery & Greenhouses is family owned and operated. It has one of the largest selections of trees, shrubs, perennials, and potted plants.
Priddy's General Store's
(2121 Sheppard Mill Road in Danbury) opening as a general store in 1888
is reflected in the old-timey merchandise, including: candy, fried
apple pies, glass bottle sodas, local produce & ciders, antiques,
local art, overalls, hardware and "good old fashioned" Stokes County
Betty's Country Grocery (3701 NC 89 Hwy. East in Walnut Cove)
Stokes County Arts Council's Apple Gallery's is a quaint historic Danbury market located on North Main Street.
311 Motor Speedway: Dirt track racing.
Hillbilly Hide-A-Way: Restaurant and music hall featuring traditional bluegrass, gospel and country music.
One Way Architectural Antiques:
Shop for antique doors, mantels, gates, urns shutters, columns, stained
glass, terra cotta and much more. Major antique and crafts show twice a
North Carolina State Wine, Winery & Wineries
Foothills Hayride at Jomeokee Campground
is a two day Bluegrass and Traditional music event held in the shadows
of Pilot Mountain in Stokes County, brings top name performers from
across the country as well as local talent to the stage. Bring your
lawn chair and enjoy the music as well as local art/crafts and
delicious food provided by a variety of vendors.
Pickin at Priddy's General Store
is reminiscent of a simpler time when friends would get together and
share good times with music, songs and laughter. Bring your lawn chair
for the outside events in October and May or sit by the wood stove
inside during February. Either way, for a couple of hours you can let
your troubles float away while the banjos and fiddles play.
Stokes Stomp Festival on the Dan
in September is presented by the Stokes County Arts Council, the Stokes
Stomp Festival on the Dan offers numerous food vendors, arts and crafts
vendors, music and much, much more. Admission and parking are free.
Places to Stay
Chateau Fontaine Bed & Breakfast (1208 N. Main Street in Walnut Cove)
MeadowHaven Bed & Breakfast (on NC Hwy 8 in Germanton)
Murphy's Castle Bed, Breakfast, & Wedding Garden (317 Summit Street in Walnut Cove)
River Cottage: Located in Historic Danbury, along the Dan River and
convenient to Hanging Rock State Park, completely furnished with two
bedrooms and a queen sleeper sofa, kitchen, TV, VCR.
Double T Farms: Camping and lodging facilities with stables and a corral located just off the Sauratown Trail near Rockhouse Road.
Hanging Rock State Park Cabins and Campground has six rustic family vacation cabins and a 73 site campground in Hanging Rock State Park.
Moore’s Spring Campground:
A family orientated primitive tent camping facility. Includes cold
water outdoor showers, port-a-johns, fire rings and picnic tables and
is located along the Dan River.
Old Farmhouse Inn:
The log part of the Old Farmhouse was built before the Civil War. The
house is finished in antiques and has numerous farm memorabilia. Two
suites are available for rent.
Sauratown Stables: Camp and stable your horse overnight near Hanging Rock State Park.
Serenity Stables: This equestrian campground is located in Pinnacle.
Southwyck Farm Bed & Breakfast: Six luxury accommodations with gourmet breakfasts and four course dinners.
Whippoorwill Inn in Danbury offers family style accommodations.
Bank of King (1914): Two-story brick building.
Benjamin Bailey House (mid 1800’s): One of Stokes County’s largest Greek Revival dwellings.
a National Historic Landmark, this 1753 site of the German-speaking,
Protestant settlement nestles in a picturesque, wooded 175-acre
wildlife preserve with 126 kinds of area birds.
(ca. 1870’s): Originally a 1700 acre tobacco plantation, this historic
old home was once a frequent retreat for tobacco baron R. J. Reynolds
and was known as the Squires Inn in later times.
Church (ca. 1886): Representative of the small Gothic Revival
board-and-batten churches built across America during the mid to late
nineteenth century. Still very active today, the congregation members
enjoy sharing the history of this beautiful and unique house of worship.
House (ca. 1820): The big two and half story frame house was built in
two side by side sections - for planter William Covington and his son
James. It was joined by a broad, 2-tier porch which was generally rare
on houses in the Piedmont.
Culler Roller Mill (ca. 1900): Roller
mills generally functioned under steam or electric power and were more
often found in towns then alongside streams. It remains in operation,
producing flour, cornmeal and animal feed and is now known as Monitor
Culler-Scott House (ca. 1895): The Culler Scott
house combines Second Empire, Italianate, and Queen Anne style elements
with its 3-stage mansard-roofed tower, asymmetrical massing, and sawn
Danbury Presbyterian Church (ca. 1893): Today is it known as the Danbury Community Church.
Danbury Public Library: The Stokes County Historical Society maintains a Stokes County History Room in the Library.
Chapel (ca. 1922): Began as a place of worship on the James Davis
Plantation soon after the Davis family settled on the Dan River in the
1700’s. The original building burned in 1922, but was immediately
rebuilt by the old plan.
Dodson Hotel (1912): Built in 1912, this three story hotel was demolished in 2013.
Dr. Ellington Homeplace: Doctor James Hardy Ellington had a medical practice at this location for 50 years.
Ed Styers House: Edward J. Styers, a local merchant, built this house in 1887.
Mill (ca. 1881): The 2-story frame corn mill served farmers for a
half-century and then was converted to produce parachute fabric during
World War II.
Horne Creek Farm
- At Horne Creek Living Historical Farm, a multi-year project is
underway to reconstruct the physical environment and seasonal work
cycle of an early 20th-century family farm in the North Carolina
Isaac Spainhour House (1890): According to local tradition this is the oldest house remaining in King.
James Robert Hutchins House (1905): The original owner operated a sawmill near Sauratown Mountain in Stokes County.
Mill (ca. 1910): The complex powered by the Dan River includes the 3.5
story frame turbine-powered roller mill, a 1913 stone and concrete dam
with millrace and the former miller’s house.
Campground: Jomeokee Campground connects with the corridor horse trail
of Pilot Mountain State Park and nearby Horne Creek Living Historical
Joseph Edward Johnson Farm (ca. 1904): The well-preserved early 20th
century farmstead retains a smokehouse, a privy, a corncrib, feed barn,
woodshed, a tobacco pack house, animal pens, and other outbuildings.
Drug Company (1926): This building was constructed in 1926 as a joint
drugstore and doctors’ office. Still in operation, and you can enjoy
lunch at the soda fountain.
King Milling Company (1920): Built
in the early 1920’s and remains in operation today, producing flour,
cornmeal, and animal feed.
King Moravian Church (1925): The 1925
King Moravian Church building makes obvious reference to Home Moravian
Church in Old Salem. The church features round-arched doors and window,
round-arched door hoods, tiny gable windows, and a small belfry atop
the steeply-pitched gable roof.
King’s Cabin (1775): A
reconstruction of the original log cabin kitchen (circa 1775) built by
the first settler to King, John Jacob Spainhour. His descendants still
live in the community today.
Lash Store (mid 1800’s): The former Lash Store illustrates a typical mid 20th-century
remodeling of the first story and interior, yet the second story
windows and the decorative corbelled cornice reflect the late 19th-century origin of this brick building.
Leake-Browder House (ca. 1865): Built for David Leake, the two-story Greek Revival house of brick is akin to “Pine Hall”.
Stable (1900’s): The one-story structure with parapeted façade and
fourteen segmental-arched stall windows along the north side was
converted to a Buick dealership after the popularization of the
automobile, and subsequently it has housed a variety of commercial uses.
Matthew Moore House (ca. 1786): The 18th
century house is one of few instances outside Winston-Salem of the
architectural traditions seen in Moravian and Quaker buildings.
Building (1900): A large two-story brick structure whose well preserved
second-story features nine bays divided by pilasters into three
sections and a decorative brickwork cornice.
Moody Tavern (ca. 1860): The two-story frame building was the headquarters for General Stoneman’s troops in 1865.
Spring House: For many years, water from the nearby springs was sold
for medicinal purposes. Advertisements for the Stokes County waters
claimed the water could cure such ailments as constipation,
indigestion, kidney and bladder trouble, rheumatism and skin diseases.
The gazebo-like structure was positioned over the spring where visitors
Moratock Iron Furnace
(ca. 1843): Smelting furnace built by Nathaniel Moody in 1843. It
supplied iron to Confederacy, 1862-1865. Stands 3/10 mi. NE. NC 8/89
(Main Street) at Shepard Mill Road in Danbury. One of the best
preserved structures remaining from the antebellum period in North
Carolina. Stokes County was one of many Piedmont counties that
contained iron ore deposits. The Moratock was used to produce usable
bar iron and is constructed of rough-quarried granite blocks, measures
approximately 28 feet square at the base.
Hall (ca. 1859): One of the most substantial plantation houses in the
northwestern piedmont. The nearby railroad town of Pine Hall, a
brick-making center, took its name from the plantation.
Village Campground: A stream is nearby for fishing and swimming, access
to bath house, laundry facilities, hiking trails and picnic tables near
Pinnacle. It has sixty sites including 39 full hookups.
Village: A spiritual community based upon simple living. Organic
gardens of flowers, vegetables, fruits and herbs, natural healing and
examples of alternative housing types.
Priddy General Store:
This two-story frame country store was built around 1888 and also
served as a post office, voting place, and bank. Enjoy “Pickin’ at
Priddy’s” live bluegrass music events. The store is well-known
for antiques, newtiques, old fashioned candy favorites, overalls,
groceries, hardware and more.
The Rock House: The Rock House
Ruin (ca. 1780’s) is one of the oldest structures still standing in
Stokes County. During the war years, the Rock House was used as a fort
against the Indians and Tories as well as the headquarters and a
rallying point for the militia. You can still see the gun ports built
into the walls.
established in 1766, was born from the Protestant Moravian commitment
to create church-organized communities where people lived together in
Sertoma 4-H Center: Located at the historic Vade Mecum
Springs near Danbury, the Center covers over 800 acres five minutes
from Hanging Rock State Park. It is available for family reunions,
retreats and weddings and operates as a summer youth camp, June-July.
Mill: The mill operated until the early 1950’s when Hurricane Hazel
washed away the wooden dam. In the 1960’s the dam was rebuilt with
concrete and the mill was totally restored, yet was never put back into
Simeon Wesley Pulliam House (1907): Constructed in 1907 by the first Postmaster of Kings Cabin, Simeon W. Pulliam.
Stack-Bickett Law Office (ca .1888): A two room frame building typical of 19th Century offices. It is now the Town Office for the Town of Danbury.
County Courthouse (ca.1904): The Old Stokes County Courthouse (1904) is
one of several similar courthouses featuring porticoes and mansard
Stokes County Jail (ca. 1904): The former Stokes County
jail is a two story brick structure featuring segmentally arched doors
and windows, a corbelled cornice, and a slightly projecting corner
tower with a pyramidal roof.
Stokes Grocery Company (1914): The
Stokes Grocery Company was a prosperous wholesale business houses in
the ca. 1914 one-story brick structure with large front windows
flanking a central double-leaf entrance and a slightly recessed a brick
panel across the upper part of the façade.
Vade Mecum Hotel (ca. early 1900’s): Vade Mecum is one of the three late 19th and early 20th
century mineral spring resorts operated in Sauratown Mountains. One of
the biggest draws for the hotel was the healing water at the mineral
springs. The resort offered dancing, bowling, tennis, golf links,
croquet, rocky mountain burro parties, swings for the ladies and
children, and fun toboggans from terraced heights to Diamond Lake.
Today Sertoma 4-H Center is operated on the property.
Vineyard Camp: Covers 250 forrested acres on Brown Mountain. The
Vineyard is more than just an outstanding sports camp and conference
center, it is a ministry dedicated to discipleship.
Cove Colored School (ca. 1921): The Walnut Cove Colored School is a 1
story, 5 classroom frame school building with clipped gable front. It
is Stokes County’s only school built with the assistance of The Julius
Rosenwald Fund. Julius Rosenwald, a Sears Executive, helped to
aid African American schools in the south.
Wilson Fulton House
(ca. 1860) Wilson Fulton, born in 1819, built this large house in
Dancury around 1855. The house is still often referred to as simply the
YMCA Camp Hanes: Offers an opportunity for
children ages 6-18 to learn, have fun, and explore new challenges in a
scenic mountain environment.
Stokes County: "a short trip...an experience to remember"
of the above information for locations in Stokes county adapted from
the Stokes County Tourism's Treasures of Stokes County brochure dated
Local Adventures on Land
(on Hwy. 65 east of Historic Germanton) was established by
members of the Germanton community in 1985. It is a public space
that includes swings, play equipment, volleyball court, walking trails
and picnic shelters. The park is funded by the proceeds of the Park
Breakfast, held twice a year.
Carolina Ziplines offers
the adventurous souls a thrilling opportunity to soar through the
forest treetops high above the forest floor. The canopy tour involves
traversing from one platform to another along a steel cable suspended
up to 50 feet above the forest floor and spanning distances of 100-1000
Hanging Rock Gem Mine's guests enjoy
the unique experience of sleuthing through mineral buckets to find the
treasures hidden within. The Gem Mine encourages the education of
geology, minerals, rocks and the Earth.
Horizons Park and Happy Hounds Dog Park
is located 2 miles south of the farm at Horizons Park on Memorial
Industrial School Road. This dog park is designed for dogs to legally
run off leash in a 2-acre fenced area with separate lots for small and
Horne Creek Living Historical Farm: Once
the Hauser family farm, Horne Creek (part of North Carolina Historic
Sites) enables visitors to experience farm life in North Carolina's
northwestern Piedmont circa 1900. The site features the family's
original farm house, a tobacco curing barn, a corn crib, adjacent
fields under cultivation, and even a heritage apple orchard. Through
programs ranging from old fashioned ice cream socials to an annual corn
shucking frolic, Horne Creek Living Historical Farm provides a unique
opportunity to learn about our rural past. Open: Tuesday -
Saturday--9 a.m.-5 p.m., Closed Sundays, Mondays, and most major
holidays. No fees except for events sponsored by Horne Creek Farm's
support group (nominal fees). Donations are accepted and appreciated.
Dr. Jack Fowler Park
located on Main Street in Walnut Cove adjacent to the Walnut Cove
Library, Dr. Jack Fowler Park was established in 1990 by a committee
formed to honor Dr. Jack Fowler. The park offers a setting of natural
beauty and a public pic-nic shelter. Owned by the Town of Walnut Cove,
the park is managed by a committee of volunteers.
Jessup Mill and Farm on the Dan River is Stokes
County’s most unique outdoor recreation destination. Jessup Mill is the
100-year-old restored grist mill, standing on the banks of the Dan
River, less than 30 minutes from Hanging Rock State Park and Pilot
Mountain State Park.
King Central Park
(off Kirby Road in King) includes a beautiful outdoor amphitheater, a
historic log cabin, numerous walking trails that wind their way around
a lake complete with decks and park benches.
Hanging Rock State Park
(Danbury) is a 6,968 acre park with more than 18 miles of maintained
trails leading to vistas, waterfalls, sparkling streams, a 12 acre lake
and historic Civilian Conservation Corps facilities. Hanging Rock State
Park encompasses the highest peaks of the Sauratown Mountains, an
ancient range named for the Saura Indians. Campgrounds and cabins,
picnic areas, fishing, seasonal swimming and boat rentals, observation
tower and rock climbing by permit. Hanging Rock was Park of the
Year in 2012.
Pinnacle Lions Park
is located near Pinnacle Elementary School and the base of Pilot
Mountain, Pinnacle Lions' Park is the site of two tennis courts, a
picnic shelter and horseshoes. Pinnacle Park is owned by Stokes County
and is managed and operated by the Pinnacle Lions Club.
Pilot Mountain State Park
The Sauratown Trail,
running almost 31 miles through Stokes and Surry Counties, offers
varying degrees of horseback riding and hiking challenges, in a
beautiful, mostly wooded setting. Part of North Carolina’s Mountains to
Sea Trail (MST), it stretchs from Clingman’s Dome in the Great Smokey
Mountains National Park to Jockey’s Ridge State Park by the Atlantic
Singletree Gun and Plough is an
elegantly rustic bed and breakfast hunting lodge located adjacent to
Hanging Rock State Park, three miles from Danbury. They have
1,000 acres of natural wonderland bordered by the rushing Dan River on
the North and 7,000 acres of State Park on the south. They offer guided
Whitetail Deer and Turkey hunts and Fly-fishing.
Local Adventures on the River
Danbury General Store
rents tubes for floating down the Dan River and shuttle services are
available. Tubing season runs from late May through mid-September.
Hanging Rock Outdoor Center
is located at the entrance to Hanging Rock State park, the Outdoor
Center offers white water and scenic canoe and kayak trips on the Dan
and Mayo Rivers. They have canoe and kayak instruction, and full
service outdoor store.
The Dan River Company's
riverside facility, adjacent to Hanging Rock State Park’s Dan River
Access, provides canoe and kayak rentals that include
transportation. DRC an arrange trips from 2 hours to 2 days,
covering up to 40 miles of the Dan River.
Dan River Trail:
The “Mighty Dan” River flows for roughly 60 river miles through Stokes
and Rockingham Counties. The five public access points enable
canoeists, rafters and tubers to select the ideal length for their trip.
Local Golf Courses
Stonewall Golf Course
(3200 South Friendship Road in Germanton) The perfect shot-makers
course with Bermuda fairways and bentgrass. It is located eight miles
north of Winston-Salem and hails itself as a mountain course in the
Riverview Golf Course: The nine-hole course alongside the Dan River in Pine Hall.
Hemlock Golf Course: A scenic mountain golf course located by the Dan River with Bermuda fairways and bentgrass greens. Open year round.
Area Portrait Studio
has been creating dreamy portraits of little birdies all over the Triad
since opening their studio in 2007. It is the work of Giulia and
They are a natural light portrait design
studio and boutique located just ten minutes north of Winston-Salem,
North Carolina in beautiful, historic Germanton. They are NOT a formal
studio - they love jeans, simple dresses, bare feet and outdoors!
Photography specializes in outdoor photography sessions, maternity and
prenatal photography, newborn photography, baby photography, children's
photography (including photography with our farm's baby goats in the Springtime),
children's limited edition fantasy portraits, family photography, pet
photography, portrait parties, birthday party photography, custom
framing, greeting cards, birth announcements and other custom boutique
1. Germanton Fresco & Germanton Methodist Church (ca. 1856): “The Miracle of the Loaves and Fishes,” a 64 square foot Fresco (a fine art painting executed into plaster using a centuries old technique) by artist Gerald Steinmeyer in 1990 graces the altar of the small church building. National Register of Historic Places
2. St. Phillips Episcopal Church (ca. 1885): St. Philips was set back on its lot and separated from its surroundings by an ironwork fence and a
well preserved representative of the small Gothic Revival board-and
batten churches influenced by Richard Upjohn built across America
during the Mid-to-late 19th Century. The
unpainted interior of St. Philips carried out both the simplicity and
the Gothic Revival character of the exterior. St. Philips had never
been electrified. The congregation had always been small, and for most
of its existence, the church had the status of an unorganized mission.
The largest number of communicants, 22, was reported in 1895. Two
Eucharistic services were held each year; Thanksgiving Day and 1st
Sunday in May. Services were held by lamplight, and a woodstove
remained to heat the building. The
church remained in Germanton for 121 years until it was uprooted and
moved to Chapel Hill, NC in 2012 after an effort by local residents
failed to keep the building on its historical site.
3. Pepper-Blackburn-Petree House
(early 19th C.): Dr. John Pepper entered the Civil War at the age of 66
as a physician to the 21st N.C. Regiment. At the age of 77, he began The Danbury Reporter which survived as the oldest weekly newspaper in the country until 1994.
4. Rainy-Savage House: Burea Jefferson Savage, born in Stokes County, became close friends with Call of the Wild author Jack London and Rex Beach, author of The Spoilers,
while a gold miner in the Klondike region of the Yukon Territory
(1896-1906). Burea returned to Stokes County and purchased this home
(below) in 1907.
5. Chaffin-Vaughn Hotel:
The hotel served as a boarding house primarily for teachers and
traveling salesmen who would arrive by train and venture out into the
countryside to sell their wares.
6. Ed Styers House: Edward J. Styers, a local merchant, built this house in 1887.
7. Alice and Mollie Hill House
(Ca. 1880’s): One of Germanton’s most prominent citizens, Dr. Lauriston
Hill, lived here. He traveled all about the area delivering babies and
ministering to the sick.
8. Chaffin House: The
original owner of this Victorian cottage is not certain. However,
around 1900, it was the residence of Will and Mildred Chaffin.
9. Germanton Winery & Art Gallery: The winery and art gallery
offers consumers a variety of quality North Carolina wines harvested
from this country setting. In addition to excellent wines,
Germanton Gallery represents over 80 artists from around the world.
The Germanton Project documents the town's history through architecture.
Buffalo Creek Farm and Creamery, LLC
Farmstead Goat Dairy
3255 Buffalo Creek Farm Road
Germanton, NC 27019